Sunday, January 23, 2011

Seed Catalogs & Planning

I like this time of year just about as much as planting & picking, This is the time of year when We get to go through all the seed catalogs and decide or dream about what we want to plant this year. There are all the old favorites, Tomatoes, watermelon, sweet corn etc. and last year we did taste tests of new veggies we planted and saved the seeds from them. Then there is all the new varieties you want to try, and the garden is only so big. This year We want to incorporate a lot of Herbs in and around the garden. We have been reading which herbs deter bugs around which veggies. Also since we are starting the orchard, I have read that Tansy, an herb & a pretty flower that grows about 1 ft tall helps to keep Deer away. We have deer that have been coming here for years, and I really don't want Gary to shoot them. So we are going to try the Tansy route. I have also read that Tansy is like mint. It can really take over. But if it is in the field with the orchard, is that bad? I don't Know. If any one is reading this, what do you think?

4 comments:

  1. Debi, I'm so glad your blogging about your farm. Since moving to Missouri we haven't had a place to garden. I am going to enjoy being the voyeur to your garden! What does a Tansy look like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree...let the deer live. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure what Tansy is - no, definitely don't like killing the deer....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, thank you all for your comments, Pat when you asked what Tansy looked like I started looking for pictures of the flower. IT is from the Aster family and looks a little like an Aster. Wikipedia had a picture and info on it. It was & is used for a lot of things like bug replant. In the 18th century it was used in omelets, & teas. It is a good flower to dry. What caught my attention was that it is toxic. Well if I have 2 acres of it under the orchard, what if the Grand kids decided to try to eat it?
    We would like to get Honey Bees. What would it do to Honey? Again Toxic Honey. So I will not be using Tansy to deter the Deer. We just might have to get a Dog, to chase them away.

    ReplyDelete