Thursday, June 14, 2012

Kale! Kale! & more Kale!

This year we planted a lot of Kale! It seems as if everyone wants Kale. It is so good for you!

Wikipedia can say it better them me, so here goes Kale is very high in beta carotene, vitamin K, vitamin C, lutein, zeaxanthin, and reasonably rich in calcium. Kale, as with broccoli and other brassicas, contains sulforaphane (particularly when chopped or minced), a chemical with potent anti-cancer properties.
 Boiling decreases the level of sulforaphane; however, steaming, microwaving, or stir frying do not result in significant loss.
 Along with other brassica vegetables, kale is also a source of indole-3-carbinol, a chemical which boosts DNA repair in cells and appears to block the growth of cancer cells.
 Kale is also a good source of carotenoids.

There are so many ways to prepare Kale, Some people make Kale salads, I have not tried that. I have evan heard of people drinking straight kale juice for a pic me up.I have put it in my juices, & Smoothies. mmm!
I have also put it in my quiches. But here is my Favorite way to fix Kale.

Kale Chips

One bunch of Kale
1-2 Tbs of olive oil
Sea Salt to taste.

Destem your Kale and chop in about 1 inch squares, place in bowl and drizzle the olive oil over it and sprinkle on sea salt. Mix untill well covered and lay on cookie sheet in single layer. Bake 250 for 20min. turn out on plate and dig in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment