Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Spring is in the air Its time to plant!




Good Spring Morning to you! Now that we have all the fruit planted, it is just in time to start planting the Spring garden.
Last week we got in 126 Cabbage. We have always made Kraut in Jars. Last year we tried our hand at making it in a Crock. I really liked the texture and the taste, except We put a little to much salt in it. I would like to make Pickles in a crock this year to see how it does. Oops got off the subject.

We also planted Kale, Collards, Spinach, Purple Lettuce & Head Lettuce. This is the first time we planted Head lettuce, I am anxious to see how that works. We planted, Early peas & Snap peas, Kohlrabi, Turnips, Beets, Carrots & Radish & Onions, we planted 2 types of onions, one was given to us by a neighbor he called them bunching Onions, you plant just one & they multiply, they never get a large bulb, Just good green onions to eat, or what some people call scallions. The other was a sweet onion like a Vidaila. Wow until I put it on paper I didn't realize how much we can plant in the early Spring. We planted Red Potatoes, & Kennebec Potatoes, These we planted early so we have some when the beans come in. We will plant more after may first of May so they will keep better over the winter.


I remember the first time I planted Potatoes, It was with my Grandpa Faber. He had cut all the Potatoes and we went out to the Garden be hind the Cottage on their Farm, where He had a vegetable Garden. The rest of their farm they grew for the farmers Market or for the Cows. Anyhow, He took the stick end of the Hoe and pushed it down in the ground and told me to drop a potato in the hole then he kicked the dirt back over it. We plant the potatoes just about the same way today.

Oh, I need to get some cilantro planted, It really likes the Cool weather just like the spinach. It seems to bolt when the weather gets hot. One year I planted it among my Rock garden & It lasted longer, till the Tomatoes came in. I think that is because the Rocks kept the Roots cool. I'll try that again this year too. We will probably get the Cauliflower, Broccoli, & Brussel Sprouts planted this week.

Happy Planting!!

1 comment:

  1. Love your blog Debi. Lewis and I have had a garden all our almost 35 years together. This year I started tomato plants, eggplant, basil, oregano, squash. I haven't started seeds in a long time. They are doing good. I planted onions and peas this week. Got to get spinach and beets planted soon. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete